Monday, November 14, 2005

Studying, Shootings, and Weekend Update

I don't really have much to say, I didn't do much this weekend other than study so it was rather uneventful. I went to a little dinner gathering on Friday in FW and had a good time. I think I was sitting next to one of my friends ex boyfriends but I am not really sure, we talked most of the night and by the end of the night everyone thought we were flirting...No, not really...we were just having a really good conversation.

I had two meetings on Saturday for a nonprofit...I don't normally talk to much about this part of my life just because I don't really know what to say or how to say it. Being the president of a nonprofit is a lot of work. I will leave it at that.

There was a shooting three blocks down from me on Saturday. Scary isn't it? Some kids were driving by and they shot at a house where a black couple and their small child(ren) live. It wasn't gang related (I don't think we have gangs in our neighborhood) so I was a little confused on why anyone would want to shoot at the home of a couple with young children. One of my neighbors thinks it was racially motivated.
I passed by the house and there were a lot of HUGE bullet holes. I don't know anything about guns but I would think the guns they used must have been powerful.
I don't think anyone was hurt but I can't image disliking anyone or a group of people so much that I would want to hurt them. Not to long ago someone I know told me he hated me...I would be lying if I said it didn't hurt a little at the moment but that didn't last very long. I can't expect everyone to like me, I was more shocked by the public, immature and childish way in which it was done. Anyway, back to my story... I can't imagine disliking anyone so much that I would want to hurt them.
Thinking of this event made me think of the KKK and the march against Proposition 2 in Austin and how their hatred has hurt so many people. It made me think of the countless killings each year that happen around the world because of differences in ideology. The countless of lives that are cut short because someone hated so much they were able to take someone's life.
Next time you find yourself using the word hate think of the hate groups that use this word as part of their vocabulary and the groups that have become associated with this word. Do you really want anything to do with that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apparently it was a 12-gauge shotgun. Craziness. And I can't find ANYTHING in the newspaper about it. Seems like a pretty big deal to me, considering I live a block away!
-SM