Sunday, February 12, 2006

Two Week Recap

I have decided to just give you a short recap of the last two weeks instead of making this a long story.

D.C.
I love D.C. and I really, really, really want to find a job and move there. It isn't because of David. It turns out he isn't as cute as my co-worker said he was. But he is very nice. He actually reminds me a lot of Wade (Wade called me last weekend and we had a very long conversation, I will have to post about that another day).

It wasn't a bad week, I was staying at the Sofitel in Lafayette Square, which is a block away from the White house and about two blocks from where I was working. Worked totally rocked, the guys I was working with are really cool. I went to work at 9:30 and left by 4:30. It was great, that is how every work week should be. I learned a lot and I am ready to start using what I learned.

Since the museums close at 5 p.m. in D.C. I didn't have the chance to visit many of them. But I was able to skip work most of Thursday and visit some of the sites.

Here are some pictures of the places I went to:

The White House


Washington Monument


WWII Memorial - This memorial wasn't there last time I was there.


Lincoln Memorial


Smithsonian Castle / Enid A. Haupt Garden


National Gallery of Art


While I was in D.C. I went to Ford Theater to see the play Trying and it was amazing. The performance by James Whitmore was great. He is such a great actor, it was truly an honor to see him perform. This is the first play that has brought tears to my eyes...twice. If you have the opportunity, see this play.

Ford Theater is where Lincoln got shot and this is the box where it all went down:



After the play I was walking back to the hotel and I got to see the presidents motorcade. He was going back to the White House after giving the state of the union address. It was kind of exciting.



And of course - no trip to Washington D.C. would be complete without protesters. These protesters were there to protest genocide in Darfur.




I also went to the National Theater,
The Freer Gallery,
The African Art Museum, and
The National Museum of Women in the Arts .

Oh, and I also saw
Damn Yankees at
Arena Stage. The acting was great, especially by Meg Gillentine who played Lola. She is beautiful, she can sing, she can dance, she is - in one word amazing.

Chicago was less exciting. Worked sucked. My co-worker and I went to see
Wicked at the Ford Theater. The Ford Theater in Chicago is the most beautiful theater I have ever been to. The detail of the building is amazing.

I also lost my phone in Chicago, I left it in the cab. Luckily my co-worker was smart enough to call the cab company and the cab driver dropped it off at the hotel. In Chicago I also stayed at the Sofitel but it was a ghetto version of the hotel in D.C.

I got sick in Chicago, I guess my body isn't use to walking around in snow and the 20 degree temperature. My co-worker got sick too and we were both going to call in sick on Friday to recover but my wicked bitch of a boss told us we needed to be at work at all cost. She is pure evil. EVIL.

I didn't read blogs for the whole week. I was going through some withdrawals. It is good to be back sleeping in my own bed.

I know I said it was going to be short but once I started writing it just came out.

5 comments:

swirly girl said...

I saw Wicked last fall in dallas. OMFG!! I loved it!

Martinez Family said...

It's so good to have you back! Missed you terribly! It sounds like you had a good time overall. But I hate that you got sick. Take care of yourself, okay?

KB said...

I'm so glad you took pics of the WWII Memorial! I have been wanting to see what it looked like finished!

Anonymous said...

Yay, thanks for the virtual tour of Washington DC as I've only passed by there once...

I was so surprised to find out that Washington Monument was built a lot earlier than I guessed. Wow. Anyhow, you have a great week. :-)

Just Me said...

SG - I loved Wicked. It was so funny, I am glad I finally got to see it.

fwmama - I am so glad to be back. I have so much to do now. I will come by and see you one of these days...or you could always venture out and come see me :)

KB - I have more pictures of the memorial, I will try to remember to send them to you.

Shigeki - I love DC! I have a lot of pictures but I think those are the best ones. Did you notice that all of them are crocked? I think I need to improve my picture taking skills.