Monday, July 12, 2004

A letter from my Senator - Kay Bailey Hutchison

This email is in regards to an email to Kay Bailey Hutchinson stating my opposition to the Gay Marriage Constitutional Amendment. If Kay Bailey Hutchinson is your senator you can contact her at the following addresses.

284 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20510-4304, Phone: (202) 224-5922, Fax: (202) 224-0776

10440 N. Central Expressway, #1160, Dallas, TX 75231, Phone: (214) 361-3500, Fax: (214) 361-3502


**********************************
Thank you for contacting me regarding same-sex marriages. I welcome your thoughts and comments on this issue.

Marriage laws have historically been the responsibility of state governments, and I generally oppose federal government intrusion into matters of state authority. Periodically, however, one state's action can have serious and far-reaching implications for other states, particularly because our Constitution requires states to give full faith and credit to
the laws of other states.

In 1996, the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defined marriage as only between a man and a woman. I voted for this federal law, and I continue to support it today because I believe the traditional family unit should remain the foundation of our society. The recent decision by a narrow majority of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court mandating same-sex
marriage threatens to overturn DOMA nationwide and effectively make that single state's marriage policy the law of our entire country.

In response, Senator Wayne Allard (R-CO) has introduced S.J. Res. 30, the Federal Marriage Amendment, of which I am a co-sponsor. This bill would amend the Constitution to define marriage in the United States as consisting only of the union of a man and a woman. Currently, S.J. Res. 30 is under review by the Senate Committee on the Judiciary. When this
legislation comes before the full Senate for a vote, I intend to support its passage.

I appreciate hearing from you and hope you will not hesitate to keep in touch on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison

4 comments:

maria said...

what a bitch!

KB said...

Frickin' Whore!!!!

Is she republican or democrat? I don't even know.
But gotta give her props. At least she was honest.

Just Me said...

She is a republican...I can safely say I won't be voting for her.

maria said...

and to hell with the 19 year old intern that wrote that, and the 22 year old staffer that approved it!