Friday, July 07, 2006

Several Things


Picture from AP


Picture from photobucket.com

I was listening to NPR this morning on my way to work and I heard the story of Russian President Vladimir Putin kissing a boy on his stomach. Have you guys heard/read the story? You can read more about it here or here.

Anyway, I heard this story right before I started pumping gas and for some reason I found it extremely funny and I could not stop laughing. Some of you know how I get when I can't stop laughing, it's loud, I snort, and I get teary eyed. People were staring at me, It was awful but I had a good laugh. And after the week I have had I needed a good laugh.

In other news - I think my trainer is trying to sabotage my workouts. After our workout this morning we went to a Mexican restaurant and had breakfast. Last week he recommended this Mexican restaurant that is in my neighborhood and it is soooo good. I haven't had good Mexican food in Dallas but this place is amazing. It is a hole in the wall and the owners are super nice and friendly. I have now taken 4 people to try this place and everyone has loved it.
They have weird hours but I can work around that.

My school semester will be over in 2 or 3 weeks. I can't wait for a month vacation from school. I have ordered a whole bunch of books from the Library, hopefully I will get them in time to catch up on my reading.

I have more to update but I will stop now since it is already a long post. If you haven't checked out Swirly Girl's post about a conversation we had check it out and give your opinion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kissing on his stomach? Wow, it's really weird but this is the country where straight dudes kiss on each other's cheeks. So I guess it's about cultural differences or something. :-)

Martinez Family said...

That was an interesting exchange with SG. I guess I take most of your flippant comments with a grain of salt. I would'nt have read too much into it.

But you know what struck me the most about the post? It's more evidence of how self-centered we all are. I don't mean that in a negative way, necessarily. I think, overall, we all think about ourselves--our needs, our desires, our fears--way too much. Practically all the great spiritual leaders (past and present)say one of the keys to happiness is to put others first. I think the world would be a better place if we all made an effort to do that. You don't have to become a martyr. Just look outside your own limited personal experiences every once and a while. Who gives a damn about cars, degrees, etc. in the big scheme of things?

Alex said...

Is it a Russian tradition?
Very interesting.... :P