Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Things People Do

I went to bed early last night because I wanted to get up this morning and go for a jog but instead I slept through the alarm and woke up very late. But that is not what this post is about.

Are there things you do as a result something your parents told you?
Every night before I go to bed I take a drink of water. When I was young my mother told me that if I went to bed thirsty and if I died during the night I would spend the afterlife in search of water because I died thirsty. I know it doesn't make any sense but when you are 5 or 6 it scares the shit out of you so if you are thirsty you drink water.

Some of us would call them lies, but they are really just creative ways of scaring the hell out of your children to get them to do what you want.

There is also the story of el cucuy (the bogeyman), la llorona (the weeping woman) and countless other stories people tell their children to get them to behave.

What stories did your parents tell you to scare you into submission?

6 comments:

swirly girl said...

Oh my! the weeping woman!!! Out grandma used to scare us with that one.

KB said...

That is a weird one. My mom wouldn't let me drink water before bedtime so I wouldn't wet the bed. I still do that b/c I don't want to wake up in them middle of the night having to pee like a racehorse! Why would your mom want you to drink water b/f bedtime?

Is this a mexican thing, or a "Cesar's family" thing? It's interesting to hear what other cultures do to their kids. ;o)

I haven't ever heard of the Weeping Woman either. I'll have to think of some of the stories I was told. I don't remember any really meant to make us behave, but I remember ones my Grandpa used to tell, that I KNOW were lies. But they were great stories!

porchmouse said...

I'm not sure if I heard this from my mom or from someone at school when I was young...but I remember being told that if I didn't brush my teeth immediately after I ate something, that little men with pitchforks would start building things in my mouth (ie. cavities). Maybe it was a bad health video from school? Either way, to this day if I eat something and don't brush my teeth immediately afterwards I start telling people that little men are beginning to build condos, highrises, communities , etc...in my mouth. I think I can actually hear them working sometime. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your mom talked about death when you were little? that's so dark.... But I don't get it. Your mom told you that because your skin needs to be fresh and hydrated? Drinking water is nice but night cream does the trick.

My parents told me that my tounge would be removed if I ever told a lie. I am sure a lot of Japanese kids were told the same thing as it's a common myth.

Just Me said...

Swirly Girl - I love old spanish tales. You know they are not real but they still scare you to death.

KB - The water thing is probably just a me thing. I was talking to my sisters and they don't know anything about it. The others are not a me or my family thing. It is a cultural thing.

Laura - ME TOO!! To this day I try very hard not to eat water melon seeds. Isn't that crazy? We know better but we still do it :)

Sue - If I was giving away a prize...well you would take it. That is just crazy/funny. I am weird about brushing my teeth also. I have a toothbrush at work and I brush them after I eat.

Dark Soul - Haha. Doesn't your b/f like those golden showers? LOL

Shigeki - I am not sure what the logic was. I think I was thirsty and I probably didn't want to get up and get water or something.
The tounge thing is scary too. I would be afraid to tell lies if I lived in Japan :)

Martinez Family said...

My grandmother always told me if I swallowed gum it would stick to my gizzard. And to this day, I still don't like chewing gum. I also heard the watermelon thing.