Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I love my people

Yes, I have people!

I am not sure what it is about my culture but somehow it is considered a compliment to tell someone they have gained weight. I was with my aunt and she tells me "Te vez mas rellenito" which translates to "You look fuller". And what can you say? I know she wasn't trying to call me fat, I know she wasn't trying to be mean. She meant it as a compliment. But how can you really take it as a compliment especially when I am trying to loose weight.

3 comments:

KB said...

Just respond to it with a "bless you" or "Gazoontite". (I don't know how to spell that) That's my new strategy. Whenever someone says something I don't want to hear, I treat it like they just sneazed!

Martinez Family said...

I like KB's suggestion a lot! Or you could just say you're retaining water. It works for women.

Just Me said...

KB and fwmama -
Kerry and I tried a little experiment yesterday and I think I like my response better -
She sent me a text message and told me I was looking fuller. I responded with BITCH!
Yea, I think that captures exactly what I am feeling :)