Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Home is where the Mom is!

My mom is in town for a month long visit. She is staying with all of us for at least a few days so it will be nice to spend time with her.

B and I picked her up from the airport on Saturday and we spent the rest of the day visiting family and eating...and eating...and eating. It was fun.

Yesterday, I decided to go visit mom after work so I took off for the hour long drive to my brothers house where they were cooking chile con carne and hand made flour tortillas. Chile con carne is like the American chili stew but 1,000 times better. It has a much better flavor and you can eat it with hand made tortillas...nothing is better than that.

When i got there my mom was the only one there so I helped her make tortillas until everyone else got there and I was kicked out of the kitchen and laughed at my tortillas because they were not round. They were basically every shape but round. OH well, they tasted good.

After all the eating I made the trip back home where I immediately went to sleep. I woke up this morning and I am still stuffed.

What reminds you of home?

2 comments:

Martinez Family said...

Where's my chile con carne? I want some tortillas!

What reminds me of home? Southern fried goodness, that's what. Chicken fried steak, fried chicken, fried okra. Homemade mashed potates and cream gravy. Ahhh. Do you feel your arteries hardening already?

Oh, and cornbread. Real cornbread that you spread butter and strawberry preserves on.

Just Me said...

FWM: That reminds me of your home and your mom too! The good southern food that your mom is so good at cooking.