Sunday, August 29, 2004

Book: Dear Friends


Friends
Originally uploaded by kai7710.

I stopped by the bookstore today and I found a book that I found very interesting. It is called Dear Friends: American Photographs of Men Together, 1840-1918 by David Deitcher.

As the book suggest, there are a lot of pictures of men together. Although the people in the pictures have passed away and their identity is not known, some of the pictures have a homosexual undertone and some of them are clearly gay. There are pictures of men holding hands, caressing each other, or just posing with their leg on top of each other. There is even a picture of a man with a beard in a dress next to a man in a suit, clearly very gay. Although I don't think all of the men in the pictures are gay, it is very obvious that some of them are.

I guess what surprised me about the book is the bravery, if you can call it that, of the men who posed for these pictures. If people are not completely accepting of homosexuality in this day in age, I can only imagine what it must have been like in 1840. I am adding this book to my list of books to read; if you are in the bookstore make sure you pick it up and take a look at it.

2 comments:

KB said...

So, is there actually anything to read or is it all pictures?

Just Me said...

There are pictures but there is also text. I will read it and give you a summary :)