Thursday, April 29, 2004

Super Star

Yesterday I received a call from US Customs and they are finally presenting me with my U.S. Customs Brokers Certificate. I took and passed the exam on October 7 of 2002 (also my birthday) and I passed the federal background check on June 24, 2003. Why has it taken so you long you ask? Well, they changed their name and they were not issuing licenses until the name change was complete and apparently it took over a year. I don't care, I am just glad to finally be getting my license. The year I took the exam there was a passing rate of less between of 3% to 7%, I cant remember the exact number and I am feeling to lazy to look it up, so this makes it even more special.

I do have a problem, when I spoke with the customs officer she informed me they were going to be presenting me with the certificate which means there will be cameras and other people around. All of my clothes are dirty, all of them, and I have not had a car all week because it was in the shop so I have been relying on the kindness of my friend Kerry to pick me up in the morning and bring me to work. Since I didn't have a car I have not been able to drop off my clothes at the cleaners.
Yesterday afternoon I went shopping with my friend Tomas and I could not find anything. I decided I was not going to wear a suit because it shouldn't be that formal. I am just going to wear a shirt and a tie and that should be good enough. I wanted a shirt I saw at Banana Republic but when I got there they didn't have it. I rushed over to another mall before they closed and they were also out of it. The shirt would have been perfect, it was a dress shirt with vertical orange lines. I can't remember the other colors but the colors weren't to overwhelming.

I had to go home and do laundry and iron late last night to have clothes for today. I went to bed late so this morning I am not a happy camper. When I woke up I noticed I had two noticeable zits and huge bags under my eyes. It is on days like these that I wish my mother was in town so I could borrow her make-up or that I was one of those gay guys that wore make-up. What if my picture makes it on the DFW Port Newsletter? What if everyone in the trade community sees me? What if they all notice my huge bags and my zitz? I should take my own photographer and have them re-touch the pictures :)
Anyway, I am pretty excited. I am leaving the office at 9 and I probably won't be back until around 1 or 2. I am calling this my Super Star Work Free Day!!

No comments: