Saturday, April 24, 2004

Day 5 of my DC trip:
My feet are killing me. They hurt so much I wish I had a boyfriend to rub them.

I did a lot today!!! And I am to tired to write details about everything I did so I will just summarize for most of them and give details of my favorite ones.
I did the following:
Library of Congress
Supreme Court - Beautiful Building
Capitol
The reflecting Pool by the Capital
Three different squares by the Capitol
Botanical Gardens
Voices of America
Bartholdi Fountain - Great little square, this has a beautiful fountain that was designed by the same guy that designed the Statue of Liberty. I took some pictures, I hope they come out.
National Gallery of Art - All I can say is WOW
The National Gallery of Art Park - WOW
Smithsonian Castle
Freer Gallery
Washington Monument
The Armory - Story to follow

Did I mention that my feet are killing me?

If I had only gone to the National Gallery of Art today I would have been happy. The collection they have and the building are amazing. You can easily get lost in this building.
I loved the Degas, de la Tour, and Cezanne (?) paintings but my favorite thing about this museum is that they had three special collections on display. The first one was called Courtly Art of the Ancient Maya. I took a tour and they had some incredible pieces of art on display. It made me wonder how my people let such a great civilization collapse, but it also made me realize the success that we are capable of. I am glad to have the Mexican Indian line in my blood.
The second exhibit was on Diego Rivera, I have never really been a big Diego fan and I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it. His paintings are to cubist for my taste. There were two paintings that I liked, one of them was En La Fuente de Toledo and the other one was Retrato de Adolfo Best Maugard.
The other special exhibit they had was Milestones in Mexican Cinema from 1898 to 2003. They were showing some of the best Mexican films of the Mexican Golden Age. Most people don't know that Mexico produced some of the best films in the world between the 1930's and 1950's. I got caught up in the excitement and I bought a book titled "Cine Mexicano; Posters from the Golden Age 1936-1956". I haven't looked at it but I will get to it as soon as I get back home.

I think I already mentioned the protest that were going on in DC this week. While I was at the Mall (not the shopping mall but the national mall) every political/environmental/feminist etc was out there trying to get you to sign petitions and stuff. Everyone seemed to have big yellow bags that said Big Gay Bag so I had to get one. I asked one of the ladies where she got it and she sent me to the Armory which was kind of far from where I was. I decided to hop on the Metro and go get a bag, once I got there all the same groups that were out in the Mall were here with booths trying to get you to become a member, sign their petition, or sell you their shirt/button/crap. I did but some really good anti-bush buttons. I also ran into a lady from Fort Worth, she lives in North Richland Hills and works for EDS.

On the way back to the Metro I was walking behind a lady (mid 20's) that was carrying all kind of signs for the protest tomorrow. She looked back and smiled at me so I smiled back. When she went through the Metro gate she looked back at me and smiled again. Me being the dork that I am, was having problems with the gate so I just smiled. When I got down to the platform she was waiting for me and she started talking. I can never tell if people are flirting with me but I really think she was. If I was straight it would have been a compliment, she was very pretty. It turns out she is from Houston and is here to march in the Woman's Right protest on Sunday. The same groups that are holding the protest are having a party at the armory tonight and we might go together. Not quite sure if I will go since my feet hurt so much; besides, I want to go to Dupont Circle.

I changed Metro lines and headed over to the spy museum. Once I got off the Metro I started walking and I walked right into China Town. I debated having Chinese food for dinner b/c it always seems to make me sick and at the end I decided to have dinner at Chipotle. A good safe choice.
I walked through the streets of China Town and thoughts of Antonio came back to me. Last time he was in DC visiting his parents he brought me back a Japanese tea set in China Town and as I walked through the streets it was a little comforting to know he had walked through those same streets before. I walked in some of the stores and I am pretty sure I know where he bought it.
Ultimamente se me a metido en la cabeza y no lo puedo sacar. No se por que lo quiero tanto.

After such a long day....here I am. I am still trying to figure out where I am going tonight. I would love to sleep but it would be a shame to waste my time sleeping while I am here. I just have to make sure I am back here by 3 a.m. b/c that is when the Metro stops running and a taxi would cost me about $23.

I think I am going to go and rub my feet. Good Night.

No comments: