Thursday, April 22, 2004

Day 3 of my DC trip:

It turns out my conference is not as interesting as I thought it was going to be. They are covering a bunch of crap that I am not interested in. They did cover some stuff that I had been doing research so I was able to ask questions to a very knowledgeable panel.

EVERYONE at the conference is OLD, WHITE, and HETEROSEXUAL!!!! I am living my worst nightmare. It actually isn't that bad, there is a nice piece of eye candy but he is straight. But everyone there is either a lawyer or they work for the government. About 30% work in the private sector but everyone works in high tech and the seminar is mainly geared towards them.

One of my goals for the year is to learn more about the high tech industry and the rules and regulations that govern the industry, I guess this is a step towards completing that goal.

Today my original plan was to go to China Town and then head over to Dupont Circle but the weather had other plans for me. As I was walking towards China Town it started raining and I didn't want to run the risk of getting drenched so I turned back around and took cover in the nearest restaurant I could find. Besides, Nick told me that it wasn't worth going over there anyway. The first restaurant I found was Cosi Cosi, actually it is just Cosi but I like the way it sounds when you say it twice. You try it...Cosi Cosi. Doesn't that sound better? This restaurant reminded me of a more flavorable version of an Atlanta Bread Company restaurant. Nick mentioned this restaurant on Wednesday so I figured I would give it a try. It wasn't bad. I sat by the window and watched the people run by trying to take cover from the rain. The rain didn't last very long and everything returned back to normal in a matter of minutes. It was interesting to watch all of the people walk by. They all seem to be cut from he same mold, they didn't seem to have their own identity. It was strange...everyone was wearing the same kind of clothing, shoes, hair style, etc.

After dinner I went back to the hotel to relax for a bit. After I was rejuvenated I decided to slip on a pair of shorts and my running shoes and go for a jog. I ran through Dupont Circle up to Adam's Morgan and back down through Dupont Circle. I immediately fell in love with this area of town. The area is so full of character and energy. Everyone there seemed to be in their 20's and 30's and there were so many restaurants with outdoor seating. I loved it. I walked around the neighborhood for a while and and then I joged back to the hotel.

When I got back I had a bit of an uncomfortable moment with the concierge. I was trying to find a bar/club close to the hotel to have a drink later that night. She didn't really help me...she wasn't rude...but you could tell she didn't want to give me information. And she didn't. She pointed me to Dupont Circle....I had to stand there wait for her to give other patrons directions but not me....I am different. I got back to my room and I placed a complaint.

I found a nice little bar in Dupont Circle, everyone was young and professional. I met a guy there named David and he was very nice. He lived close to my hotel so we balked back together....I know what you are thinking...but nothing happened. He went his way and I went mine. I might call him on Saturday and hang out if I decide to go out to the bars. I think I will :) He was cute.

No comments: