Thursday, April 29, 2004

Mistake Number 1: Asking Peoples Advice

I made the mistake of calling my friend to get his advice on dogs. He is a vet tech and they have 3 dogs, a ton of fish, and 3 or 4 parrots. Their house is like a zoo, I always tell them they should charge people to go in.

I told him I was thinking about getting a dog and that I was planning on getting a labradoodle, Labradoodles!. After I said those thing I don't think I was able to say another thing during the conversation. He told me about the cost, the responsibility of dog ownership, he basically explained the in's and out's of dog ownership according to Scott. As much as I appreciate it his concern the whole conversation was very negative. It was all about why I should NOT get a dog.
In a way he is right, there are days when I am not home during the whole week but there are days when I just sit at home and do absolutely nothing. If I was to get a dog my habits would have to change and I don't think other people think I am capable of taking care of a pet. My friend Tomas made a comment about me not having the patience for a dog. My family has been very encouraging, it just seems some of my friends don't think I am responsible or patient enough to own a dog.
Scott did give me a lot to think about, and he pointed out my activities this month and how hard it would have been to do everything I did if I had a dog.

My Decision: I am going to think about it some more. Everyone who knows me knows that I don't like to jump into anything before evaluating and analyzing every possible outcome and solution. I am still going to go to Canton this weekend to check it out and if they have the dogs there I will get to see them and play with them. It will also give me the opportunity to look at other dogs and compare the breeds.

Off to sleep I go, what I will decide nobody knows.

No comments: