Sunday, April 25, 2004

Day 6 of my DC trip.

I have been sitting at the airport for 3 hours. My flight has been delayed and I am so pissed off. But I had a wonderful day otherwise.

I woke up today and my intentions were to spend the day in Georgetown and do some shopping but after trying to pack my bag I realized I could not fit anything else in it. But I still wanted to go to Georgetown so I took the Metro and it was so packed. All of the people that were here for the protest were going in the same direction I was so the Metro was so crammed with people. While we were waiting at the station the Pro-Choice people and the Pro-Life people had a little word shouting contest. It was a kind of exciting. :)

While I was in the subway I was amazed about how open gay couples are here. There were two Asian boys (no more than 20 years old) and they were hugging and kissing at the station. I thought it was so cute.

Anyway, back to my original story, the Metro police had to come down and push the two groups aside. While I was walking around in Georgetown I decided it would be more interesting to go the protest so I headed back. Once I got there I was amazed at how many people where there. The news reports say there were close to a half a million there. It was amazing, there were so many different groups of people and they were all there to make a difference. I have never been in such a huge crowd of people that feel so strongly about an issue. There were the Feminist, the Pro-Choice, Pro-Life, Gay Rights, etc and they were all in their little groups. I took some great pictures of the different signs that people were holding.
There was a group called Anti-Racist Action and they were amazing. They were a bunch of people in their mid 20's all dressed in black and with black bandanas covering their faces. Part of their group was a group called the Radical Cheerleaders, they were made up of both men and women. The women were wearing some interesting outfits (torn prom dresses, handerchiefs for a shirt) and the men were wearing slips, dresses, shorts. Some of the cheers they used were really funny. There was one that I remember in particular, they were all in a circle and each person in the circle would take a turn and step in the middle, when they stepped in the middle they would deliver their message to the crowd. A sweet little Asian girl who was wearing a golf cap, plaid mini-skirt, and a pink shirt comes out and she does her cheer "My name is ______ and I have a message that is hotter than hot" the rest of the group would yell "How hot is hot?" and she replied something about people putting down prostitution but then they didn't mind when they were the ones being blown. The rest of the group starting yelling "Tip your whore, tip your local whore. Tip your whore, tip your local whore." Each cheer they did was very silly and fun but at the same time it was politically charged. I think this group was by far the most effective and got the most attention from the crowd.

I had a great time at the protest. I had to leave because I still had to go back and get my bags from the hotel and take the Metro to the airport. I thought I was going to be late, boy was I wrong. I got there and I am still here waiting.

I guess the waiting isn't so bad, I got to finish reading the book "How the Garcia Girls lost their accent". But I won't get to see my little brother, he came home this weekend and he was going to wait until 6 p.m. before he left back home. I had to call him and tell him to go home. Who knows when I will be home, they keep pushing the time back more and more each time I look up. I will stop looking up...maybe they won't change it anymore.

Wish me a safe flight home and remember....Tip your whore, tip your local whore!!!

No comments: