Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Gay Pride

It's Gay Pride Month here in the U.S. and my b/f works for a gay organization so he has to travel to different pride events around the country every weekend. It's not fun for him because most of the places he visits have been really hot (temperature wise) and he has to be outside in the heat talking to people. So he doesn't really enjoy it.

He has to go to Houston Pride next weekend. Two friends and I decided to drive down there for the weekend and enjoy pride. I went with B to Houston pride last year and I "volunteered" to help him. By volunteer, I mean I had to help him because the guy that went with him decided he was "sick" so I went and helped out. It was hot, humid, and raining and we had a big argument. It wasn't fun for either of us.

This year I am not planning on helping unless something really bad happens and all of his volunteers don't show up. But as of now, I am planning an hanging out with my friends and enjoy the festivities.

If you were dating me, would it bother you that I was there having a good time while you were worked your ass off?

Have you been to a pride event? Did you enjoy it?

7 comments:

Martinez Family said...

Dang. I was kind of hoping y'all would run off to California this weekend and get married.

Personally, I wouldn't mind that you were running around having a good time. I'd just be thankful you were out of my hair so I could handle my work stuff.

Go. Have fun. Be prideful!

KB said...

I wouldn't care if you were off having fun while I was working. Why do you have to suffer too? I'd be jealous, but I'd be glad that when I was done, I'd get to see you instead of having to wait until I got home.

I went to a bunch of gay pride things when I was in college. They always take a turn for the "over the top" in the end. I mean, drunken naked men on a float are nice to look at, but I think it sort of sets them back when you think of the point of gay pride festivities. But that's just my thoughts.

Legolas said...

I would totally be so bothered but there's nothing that I could do.

Just Me said...

FWMama: No marriage for us. I think that is a long way off. There are so many issues involved with a gay marriage. For example, did you know that you can't get a divorce unless you move to the state/country where you got married for a certain period of time (usually a year) and then you can file the divorce papers. It's complicated.

KB: What's wrong with half-naked men?

Legolas: I think it might bother me also. I offered to volunteer for a few hours.

Martinez Family said...

Well, gee, don't set yourself up for failure or anything!

Seriously, though, I didn't realize that. What a pain in the ass.

Another thing I was wondering: If you married in California, and returned to your home state, which doesn't recognize gay marriage, would you still retain any rights?

Just Me said...

FWMama: You would not have any rights as a married couple because your state would not recognize the marriage.

Anonymous said...

Good words.