Thursday, February 28, 2008

Racism or Hurt Feelings?

This story came out today about Hillary Clinton rejecting and denouncing the support of Adelfa Callejo, a lawyer in Dallas who has been involved in politics for some time. I have already expressed that I am voting for Obama but I am glad Hillary rejected Ms. Callejo's support. Simply to express to Ms. Callejo that racism is not acceptable int he world we live in today.

Ms. Callejo had this to say about Obama
Obama simply has the problem that he happens to be Black … When Blacks had the numbers, they didn't do anything to support us. They always used our numbers to fulfill their goals and objectives, but they never really supported us, and there's a lot of hard feelings about that. I don't think we're going to get over it anytime soon.


She goes on to say

When Blacks had the numbers, they didn't do anything to support us," said Callejo. "They always used our numbers to fulfill their goals and objectives, but they never really supported us, and there's a lot of hard feelings about that. I don't think we're going to get over it anytime soon.


Do you believe her feelings are hurt because of the tense relationship between the Africa American and Latino communities or do you believe she is being racist?

If you use the "She is from a different generation" excuse, at what point are we going to stop using that excuse and start calling people for what they are?

I have had this conversation with two of my good friends many times. They both happen to be black and we all agree that this is more prevalent in the older communities and we don't really see the tense relationships in the younger communities. I am completely aware this may not be the case in other cities but based on our social circles we don't see this tension.

So Racism or Hurt Feelings? Discuss.

4 comments:

Martinez Family said...

Get over it, sister.

A reasoned, rational argument about why she doesn't support Obama would be the more intelligent approach. Say you don't like his stance on the economy, the war or whatever. Don't chalk it up to a supposed feeling of injustice shared by the entire Latino community. He's not bringing race into the situation, why should she.

Just Me said...

I completely agree!

Statements like that only fuel the belief that all Latinos have some sort of resentemnt.

I know I don't. And I know many others who don't. So please, don't speak for me.

KB said...

I think it's both. I think she's a little bit racist like everyone in this country is (even if they don't admit it).

I don't like Canadians at this point in time. But maybe I'm jealous of their healthcare system. Or maybe I don't like the drunk bastards that spill over the boarder and ruin the farm land with their stupid antics. But I know not all Canadians are that stupid. Just the ones around here. :o)

I really like that Hilary would reject outright the support. I watched Obahma hem and ha about how he can't stop someone from supporting him, and that's why he wouldn't reject the support from whever that racist dude is that says he supports Obama.

I like Hilary's straight talk. I'm tired of the "I'll answer the way I think I'm supposed to answer" answers that Obama gives. He is too, what's the word? Polished maybe? When he answers stuff. He has no solid opinion one way or the other that couldn't be bent to look like he's for or against it in the right company.

Also, I don't think anyone's racism should be tolerated because of the generation they came from. Of course you'll likely be kinder to them in your bludgeoning because of their age, but their comments shouldn't just be accepted because they are old.

dantallion said...

It's racism - and the very worst kind. The kind that permeates the fundamental thought processes of the individual because it's part of their generation's 'culture'. Just because it's generational doesn't make it excusable.