Monday, April 28, 2008

Overprotective parents or hippies



Someone I know went to his niece’s birthday party and he was telling me about it. The child is 2 years old and the parents did not allow the child to have candy on her own birthday.

The cake was made out of sugarless frosting.

The piñata had small toys inside instead of candy. And the biggest thing of all is that they were not allowing the kids to hit the piñata of Elmo. Instead, the piñata had strings and each child got a chance to pull a string. One of those strings was connected to Elmo’s back and when they pulled it the toys inside fell out.

I don’t have any kids but this seems rather strange to me. First off, no sugar? Are you serious? Then the piñata. Seriously?

Over protective parents or hippies? You be the judge.

3 comments:

Martinez Family said...

Full disclosure: I'm a wee bit obsessive compulsive about Little One's sugar intake. She's a very, uh, active child to begin with. The last thing she needs is a sugar high.

However, the holidays and birthdays are definitely times when you let the kids go apeshit. The sugar floweth and the parents do their best to keep from flying off the handle. Ah, the joys of childrearing.

I don't know about the whole pinata thing. Were there older kids there? Or was it just tots? Two year olds are way too young for pinatas. They'll end up smacking the walls or each other with the stick. So I guess the 'pull the string' thing made sense. Sort of.

And I'd rather see candy fall out of the thing rather than a bunch of cheap ass trinkets that'll end up cluttering a landfill. (Ban the clutter! It's my new rallying cry.)

r. said...

Looks like Elmo is pooping rainbow!! weeee!

KB said...

what a crappy party. glad i wasnt there