Thursday, March 20, 2008

Things are Changing

Things are changing around here. My bosses, boss, boss was "let go" and now our department is under review. I have the feeling there are is going to be a 50% cut in staff to try to save cost around here. I wasn't to worried the first couple of days but not that everyone around me is panicking I am starting to panic as well.

That is all everyone seems to talk about in my department these days. And it doesn't matter what you are talking about, the subject always pops up. It's so tense here that people have started packing up their belongings and asking the copy center to copy certain materials they created, training manuals, etc.

And everyone seems to be working hard. Normally we all show up late but since all of this happened everyone is at their desk by 8 and leaves at 5 or after 5. I on the other hand came in late today. I had a tough night and couldn't sleep. But I have been on time every day this week…which is rare for me.

As far as packing, I don't really have anything here that I want to take with me. The only thing is a calendar that I use from Shigeki's Christmas mail out, my hand lotion, and my flash drive. Everything else that is here they can keep. I have never really personalized my work areas. I never put up photos or decorate so I don't have to box anything up.

I was talking to two ladies in my department who have been here for 5 years (which is rare, our turn over rate is over 50%), one of them use to be in HR and was telling horror stories of people who had been fired and either had guns in their bags or came back and sat in the parking lot waiting for their boss who fired them to come out. CRAZY

Anyway, we were making plans to go to Chicago in May but those plans will have to be postponed until we know what's going on around here.

On a happier note: This is my 500 Post!

4 comments:

Martinez Family said...

Dude, that really sucks. I'm so sorry! If the worst does happen, God forbid, I know you'll find an even better job. You are so talented!

I feel the same way you do about personalizing workspaces. Especially since I've been a victim of corporate downsizing. The few family photos on my bulletin board can be quickly tucked in my purse. Otherwise there's nothing else I need to take.

Just Me said...

I thought of another thing that I would want to pack: My snack money. I keep change in one of my drawers to get snacks in the afternoon. It's not a lot, probably $2, but they are not going to keep my change! Bastards!

KB said...

Welcome to the trip cancelation group! All our trips got canceled at my office too. But turns out, just for the web because marketing traveled last week. We were pissed!

Just Me said...

Mine was actually a personal trip with B and a couple of other friends.