Thursday, November 19, 2009

Layoffs

I am a ball of nerves today. The rumor is that the layoffs will be happening today and yesterday they set up 4 offices in our building. We are not sure who they are for but the rumor is that they are for HR people since we only have 1 HR person at our facilities and they would need help to do the layoffs.

Up to this point I hadn't been concerned about it because they were all rumors but now that it looks like it's a reality its becoming a bit nerve wrecking. I keep asking myself, is it better to be the last one standing or the first to go?

Right now I believe it would be better to be the first to go. If I stay behind and if our division merges with another division it would be a completely different company. I would also have to worry about how long I would be needed in the new company. Are they keeping me to help transition stuff over or am I going to be a permanent part of the new division? How much more responsability would I have to take on? Etc, etc, etc.

Right now I wish our leadership would grow some balls and just tell us what is going on. Other than an announcement telling us we were now reporting to another division they have not said a thing which has contributed to the rumors and the uncertainty.

I am surprised there has only been 1 person who has left the company. Everyone else is staying put. Maybe it's becuase they have all been here for so many years, some have been here for over 20 years, and they have to much to loose.

Has anyone else gone through layoffs? How did you cope?
How soon did you wait to file for unemployment?
Any advice you would give someone that is waiting to hear their fate?

No comments: